Click to enlarge
Search this site
Judy Webster's genealogy tips & indexes for local, interstate & overseas folk in Queensland's historical records
© Copyright, Judy Webster

Why I use & recommend FindMyPast

Home   |   About   |   Advice   |   Indexes   |   FAQ   |   Family tree   |   Links   |   Publications   |   Services   |   What's New

You are here:  HomeResearch services › In-depth research at Qld State Archives.

Professional Genealogy Research at Qld State Archives

Family historians often need help in record offices that they cannot visit in person. Employing someone familiar with local records (including unusual sources) is often more productive and more economical than attempting the research yourself.

I do professional research at Queensland State Archives, including tracing descendants in Queensland, and I am familiar with many unusual sources that overcome 'dead ends'. My clients include family historians, professional genealogists, solicitors and State Trustees. You are welcome to check my credentials and obtain references.

I have a Graduate Diploma in Local and Applied History (University of New England, Armidale NSW) and I have been doing professional genealogical research since 1986. As an AAGRA accredited genealogical record agent, I have undertaken to abide by a Code of Ethics.

I visit Queensland State Archives to provide these services:

'Copying Service' (if you find a name in the indexes / lists on my Web site).

Other research, which must be requested on a special form (see below). Queensland sources to which I have access include:

Before requesting research you may want to:

My Policy

I will provide full source references, even if results are negative. Your personal details, address, correspondence and research remain confidential. I aim to be both professional and approachable, so please contact me if you have any concerns about my service.

Payment methods

Whether you live in Australia or overseas, you have a choice of payment methods.


The nature of archival records is such that it is often impossible to predict how difficult or time-consuming a task will be. Most clients prefer to work in stages. At the end of each stage I will send a detailed report with my findings, plus suggestions for further research if indicated. You may then decide whether you wish to continue. A deposit is required before work can commence (usually $100, but a smaller deposit is possible if your request is very simple).

Fees are based on costs incurred and time spent on handling the commission. This includes the time it takes to analyse information supplied, contact you for clarification if insufficient data is provided initially, plan the research, search the records, assess results, order and collect photocopies (or take digital photos), prepare reports, and read and respond to emails. Out-of-pocket expenses are extra (photocopies, certificates, postage, packaging etc). Qld State Archives charge $1.30 per page for copies of original documents and $1 per page from microfilm. If you send email attachments without obtaining my approval in advance, you will be billed for download fees if I am overseas at that time.

My hourly rate is similar to that of other professionals with similar experience and training. In addition to research and reports, it covers non-billable expenses such as stationery, computer hardware and software, equipment repairs, Internet access, Webpage costs, electricity, ongoing education (genealogy seminars, conferences and journals), books/fiche/CD-ROMs for my home reference library, etc.

I charge AUD$60 per hour, plus out-of-pocket expenses. I do not charge for travel to Qld State Archives unless I make a special trip because you request priority service.

How to request research

A carefully prepared request will save you money and increase the chances of success. If you supply insufficient detail, time will be wasted and relevant material may be missed. It is the client's responsibility to provide full particulars of what is already known so that work is not duplicated.

  1. Print the request form in PDF format or Microsoft Word format (opens in a new window).
  2. On the form, state clearly what you already know and what you are trying to accomplish.
  3. Supply photocopies of certificates and a list of sources and time periods already checked (whether results were positive or negative). Cite sources fully and accurately. Be very specific!
  4. For complex research and problem solving, make extra Family Group Sheets (page 3) for relatives of the subject. Researching a spouse, parents, siblings or children will often overcome dead ends.
  5. POST the request form, payment, copies of certificates etc to Judy Webster, PO Box 5043, Algester QLD 4115, Australia. For personal reasons, I cannot be contacted by phone.

Waiting time

I only work part-time, and your waiting time depends on my workload and the nature of your task. If you need results urgently for legal or other purposes, please discuss your requirements with me (my email address is on the 'About' page) because a priority fee may apply and I will need to send you a special request form. The request form indicates the likely waiting time for non-urgent work.

Other comments / advice

Other professional researchers

It is my policy to recommend only those professional researchers whose services I have personally used, and whose work I consider to be of a very high standard. They include:

Research in Victoria:

Research in Western Australia:

Research in New South Wales:

Search this site  (do NOT use apostrophes; read search results page carefully)

Top of page

Home   |   About   |   Advice   |   Indexes   |   FAQ   |   Family tree   |   Links   |   Publications   |   Services   |   What's New
Updated 26 Mar 2017 © Copyright Judy Webster.   My 'Privacy policy' and 'Disclaimer'.

Creative Commons License This site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License. I hold copyright in the contents of the site, which may be used for personal research only. If you reproduce any content in any way, you must acknowledge that it belongs to me. If you wish to use any part of this site for professional or commercial purposes, you must contact me in advance to obtain my permission.