Genealogy tips for Queensland, Australia, the UK and elsewhere
Tips on family history research (links open in a new window):
- Queensland Genealogy and Archives Research Tips: Tips about civil registration records and alternative sources, immigration records, wills and intestacies, electoral rolls (and how the four series differ), inquest and 'no inquest' files, Benevolent Asylum records, people who 'vanished', and identifying a child's biological father.
- 10 Tips for Wills, Intestacies and Probate: This includes advice about related but little-known record series, and it is relevant Australia-wide and worldwide.
- 40 of my Favourite Genealogy Indexes and Sources: These have Australia-wide and worldwide relevance.
- Indexes and old handwriting: My tips on interpreting old handwriting; traps involved in using and compiling indexes; alphabetical indexing rules. (See also 'How wildcard searches can help you find your ancestors'.)
- DNA tests: a powerful new tool for genealogy.
- Postems on FreeBMD (England and Wales): An unexpected way to make contact with others researching your family.
- Free certificates in Archives files: You can get some certificates without buying them from the Registry.
- Suggested reading: Books and eBooks (genealogy guides, social histories and other background reading for family history, and genealogical crime mysteries).
- My 'Genealogy Leftovers' site.
- My 'Queensland Genealogy' site. Under 'Categories' in the sidebar there, click 'Tips'.
- Answers to frequently asked questions: ancestors who vanished; missing death registrations; what details are shown on Queensland birth, death and marriage certificates; Dunwich Benevolent Asylum; etc.
- Other links: Other 'must-read' websites for genealogy in Queensland, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
- Genealogy Basics: Advice for beginners and more experienced researchers, including recommended books and websites (Australia & UK).
- Published papers from genealogy conferences: Use this list to find advice and information that is not on the Internet.
- Privacy, copyright and sharing: Advice about privacy issues and standards for sharing family history information.
- My other genealogy sites have additional advice and names.
Help me to keep this Website online!
Although I'm now semi-retired, I still spend a lot of time giving FREE advice by updating and adding to this website and my other genealogy sites, and via my newsletter. If my advice helped you, or if you'd like to keep this site online, please make a donation towards the cost of web hosting fees. Click the PayPal button and specify an amount, or use other payment methods.
Search this site (do NOT use apostrophes; read search results page carefully)
|DONATE to keep
this website online