Genealogy tips for Queensland, the UK and elsewhere
Tips on family history research (external links open in a new window):
- Queensland Genealogy and Archives Research Tips: Tips about civil registration records and alternative sources, immigration records, wills and intestacies, electoral rolls (and how the four series differ), inquest and 'no inquest' files, Benevolent Asylum records, illegitimate children, and people who 'vanished'.
- 10 Tips for Wills, Intestacies and Probate: This includes advice about related but little-known record series, and it is relevant worldwide.
- Suggested reading: Books and eBooks (genealogy guides, social histories and other background reading for family history, and genealogical crime mysteries).
- 40 of my Favourite Genealogy Indexes and Sources: These have worldwide relevance.
- DNA tests: a powerful new tool for genealogy.
- Free certificates in Archives files: You can get some certificates without buying them from the Registry.
- My 'UK / Australia Genealogy' site.
- My 'Genealogy Leftovers' site.
- My 'Queensland Genealogy' site. Under 'Categories' in the sidebar there, click 'Tips'.
- Answers to frequently asked questions: Ancestors who vanished; missing death registrations; Dunwich Benevolent Asylum; details shown on Queensland birth, death and marriage certificates; etc.
- Other links: Other 'must-read' Web sites for genealogy in Queensland and the United Kingdom.
- Indexes and old handwriting: My tips on interpreting old handwriting; traps involved in using and compiling indexes; alphabetical indexing rules. (See also 'Name Variations: Tips and Tricks' and 'Hard to read records'.)
- Genealogy Basics: Advice for beginners and more experienced researchers, including recommended books and Web sites (Australia & UK).
- Postems on FreeBMD (England and Wales): An unexpected way to make contact with others researching your family.
- Published papers from genealogy conferences: Use this list to find advice and information that is not on the Internet.
- Privacy, copyright and sharing: Advice about privacy issues and standards for sharing family history information.
- My other genealogy sites have additional advice and names.
Help me to keep this Website online!
Although I'm now semi-retired, I still spend a lot of time giving FREE advice by updating and adding to this Web site and my other genealogy sites, and via my newsletter. If my advice helped you, or if you'd like to keep this site online, please make a donation towards the cost of web hosting fees. Click the PayPal button and specify an amount, or use other payment methods.
Search this site (do NOT use apostrophes; read search results page carefully)