Genealogy Discounts and Freebies
When I hear about discounts and freebies for genealogy, I mention them on at least one of these sites (links open in new windows): (1) this page; (2) my 'Judy Webster Genealogy' Facebook page; (3) 'JudyQld' on Twitter.
Take advantage of these specials while they last, and watch for other discounts and freebies to be listed here in the future. Links open in new windows.
- (NEW) The 'December Gifting Sale' at Ancestry ends at 11:59pm (AEDT) on Christmas Day, 25 Dec 2020.
- (NEW) Until midnight (AEDT) 1st January 2021, full transcriptions of New South Wales birth, death and marriage certificates cost just $18. (I often use this transcription service.)
- (NEW) If you want more information or document copies for the 70,000 names on this Website, some new reduced price options are available, and more will be added soon (for a trial period). See 'Copying Service' at the end of each list of names.
- (This offer ended on 23 Nov 2020) Big discounts (25%-30% off) at Findmypast.
- (This offer ended at 5am AEST 27 Nov 2020) Half-price family history mini-guide.
- Births, Deaths and Marriages Victoria is making downloadable uncertified historical certificates available for just $20 each. I don't know how long this offer will last, but it was still listed on their Website on 5 Dec 2020.
- Almost 1 billion original census, parish and military records from England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and the USA are always FREE to *VIEW* (not just free to search). No need for a subscription or credit card - just register (free).
- New users can get a 14 day free trial at Findmypast. If you're not sure whether you'll want a paid subscription, un-tick 'Auto-renew' in MyAccount after you register.
- New users can get a 2 week free trial at Ancestry. If you decide not to get a paid subscription, cancel your free trial within two weeks of the date your trial begins.
- Findmypast's FREE 'Family Tree Builder' scours the site's record collections, searching for details that match those on your tree, and then offers potential matches for you to review, accept or reject. No subscription needed - just register (free). You can keep the tree on Findmypast forever, even without a subscription. If you want to prevent it being shared or made public, use the privacy controls.
- Findmypast's FREE app for Android and iOS devices allows you to search records; add to and update your Findmypast family tree; upload photos from your smartphone; and lots more.
- Discounts are frequently available at Living DNA. This is the only test that shows where within Britain and Ireland your ancestry comes from within about the past ten generations. It breaks down your ancestry to any of twenty-one regions in the United Kingdom, and a total of about eighty worldwide regions. I did the test and was very impressed with how well their predictions fitted my known ancestry back to the 1700s.
- Family Group Sheet: You are welcome to download (free) the customised Family Group Sheet that I designed for my own use. It includes features that most group sheets don't have. No matter what filing system you use, I strongly advise you to write all birth, marriage and death information (and other basic details) on Family Group Sheets. Refer to them when you're doing Internet searches or visiting libraries or archives. The free Family Group Sheet is on my Downloads page.
- Register with the British Newspaper Archive and you can view three pages from any title for free. There are also personal research tools to keep your searches on track, and you can add personal 'My Notes' to items in the Saved area.
- A British Newspaper Archive subscription gives you three months for the price of two (save 31%).
- Check this page regularly for new offers from me or from Findmypast, Ancestry, British Newspaper Archive, Family Tree DNA or AncestryDNA tests for genealogy, Legacy Family Tree, NSW certificate transcriptions, LostCousins etc.
Search this site (do NOT use apostrophes; read search results page carefully)